Monday, May 01, 2006

My 5 year old has a stock portfolio... Doesn't everybody's?

I did a quick glance at my Quicken and saw that my 5 yr old's stocks are valued higher than my retirement fund (I started them with the same amount). And I have to wonder how many parents actually do these things? Did I mention my 2 year old's portfolio is also going strong? On the one hand I feel like a nut, on the other hand we're talking about 2 colleges 4 years apart, which can be a hefty bill, and the fact that our parents made zero plans/contributions to our college made matt & I aware of how the lack of help/support can discourage attendance. My parents refused to sign my loan papers or to even loan me $300- for books and supplies my 1st year, so when the next year came and I couldn't afford the $600 for books and tuition (from my summer job, as my parents charged me rent even during school) I dropped out and worked for just over minimum wage. I do wonder if my mum's stinginess is why I'm so worried about helping the boys with college (believe me they could easy afford to help pay for classes and books, they just didn't want to).

2 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger rebecca said...

I think you had especially unsupportive parents. I can't say my children have stock portfolios (I don't even have one), but I can say that I'm 100% willing to help with college tuition and materials costs when they get older.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Yep mom was extra-critical, and not supportaive in many ways. I REALLY think you should be able to send your parents your therapy bills for sessions related to them. As for college plans/ retirement check out sharebuilder.com they have a $5- minimum to get started, then you just arrange for a monthly withdraw of $ amount, I like "no-effort" plans so I just keep the extra $30 in there same time the insurance is deducted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home