Tuesday, January 03, 2006

School resumes today

Well after enjoying a much needed holiday break, Evan & I resume classes today, just after my dental appt. On the 31st I bit into some nut brittle, and it bit back, I lost the filling on my back molar. So in 2 hours I go in to get the filling replaced. Erik is happily sitting below my chair with his farm animal sounds game, like Evan he's not very verbal yet (I think he can't get a word in, with the rest of the chatterboxes, but either way, I'm not worried).
This AM I'm aware of how not like the "homeschooling" mom people seem to picture. There was no farm-fresh eggs and pancakes for breakfast, instead it was protein smoothes on the sofa. We don't get up at sunrise to "start the day", instead 10 am > noon is early enough for us. We allow TV, there's a lot of discussion on homeschooling boards about tossing out the TV, which I think can be a baby-with-the-bathwater thing. True hours of unsupervised brain rotting can occur, but I would no more not monitor the content of the "kids" shows, then I would let him watch the horror channel. This AM Erik's watching blue's clues (which I find minimally annoying, but that's because Joe is chipper before my coffee can kick in). Several shows have been banned from our TV, they are rated as children shows, but I don't find anything in them that merits allocating time to them.
Partial list of banned shows: Ed, Edd & Eddy (so stupid it makes my brain hurt, combined with risky behavior I don't want my kids trying), Grim adventures of Billy & mandy (he's a moron, she's a bully, and these are the "heroes" of the show), Barney (if it annoys me it doesn't get air time), Spongebob (annoys me, but once in a while I'll let them watch a 1/2 episode). Nightly News, (reports of killings, bombings, war, etc.) really not child-friendly here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home