Thursday, December 29, 2005

Why homeschooling

When people find out we're homeschooling Evan, they give me this really confused look.... and they get even more confused when they find out I left a good carrer to do it.
Unlike the other parents who can't wait for winter break to be over so they can send the kids "back to thier teachers, where they belong", were happily sitting on the sofa togher playing with the pretend food he got for Christmas.
Evan is a good natured kid, he loves pretty much everyone, and is happy with himeslf, which I did not want to risk by putting him into a peer-based enviroment yet. The schools here are awful, when he was 3 I was laid off from a coporate job (they closed the office & relocated the dept.) since I had cut my maternity leave short to go back to work, I planned on using some of that time to get to know my child, when i went to the school he would attend, and asked for the school's rankings (I don't know why more parent's don't do this), I found out the school was a solid 33% in math and 37% in reading scores, not good enough for my kids, and shouldn't be good enough for anyone's kid. Evan was already counting to 20 at age 3, and I just couldn't see not teaching him anything for 2 years, so.... we started preschool work. Every math/logic based concept he could wrap his mind around he did.... colour, shapes, sizes, ordering, sorting, it became very clear that numbers are his thing the morning I went to make coffee, and found he'd emptied the cans out of the pantry, and sorted/counted them by type, he was 4. At this same time I decided that I wanted to be done with baby having by 30, so it was time to get to trying, so with baby #2 on the way, may as well commit to working from home.
Evan is also a stand out physically from the other kids, he's as tall as the 2nd grade kids on the block, at 5, and is skinny with blond hair & blue eyes, in a town where blond children are rare (mostly hispanic and africian american kids), so with the combination of physical differances, and educational differances allready in place, I didn't want him subjected to teasing at school (he's a sensitive child, and although he plays with other kids, at this point they're chosen for him and know the rules for behaving).
At this point, looking at his year-goals from the charter school (teaching preschool for the daycare, and keeping up with Evan's math was 2 full-time jobs, so the charter school provides his currculim and I handle the teaching here at home).
Math 95% complete, starts 1st grade math next week.
Phonics 40% complete (his reading glasses have been ordered, soon as they're in we'll catch him back up)
Lang. Arts 45% complete
History 53% complete
Science 46% complete (Matthew teaches science twice a week)
Art 57% complete (the daycare kids do art & music lessons in a group with him)
Prep. Music 47% complete
Health 57% complete
He's on track to finish his kindergarten year in late May, and should be over 50% done in 1st grade math by then.
This year is our first done on a traditional school calandar, and giving him 2 weeks with no work is somewhat new, I think tomorrow he'll do some handwriting pratice (he needs to slow down and work neater).
As for the baby, well he's 19 months old now, and it's really too young to start anything serious, for Christmas he recieved several books, and some magnet-writing boards so he can do "coloring" with the bigger kids, and some wipe-off coloring books. At two we'll start on colors, and shapes, till then we're adding seasme street to his daily routine.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Blogger rebecca said...

I don't think 19 months is too early to start. Nikolai had his colors down at 16 months. Go for the gold, Chris. :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home